Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Classic Music

I keep reading how important it is for babies to listen to classic music. You know, Baby Einstein and all that oojah. So I decided I better get Iain started. Yesterday we listened to a little Surf Punks, and today he took in a song by the Dead Milkmen (Yep, the one about the Camaro.) So I think tomorrow we'll listen to a few older selections from Chris LeDoux. It doesn't get much more classic then that, does it? --Geoff

13 comments:

Kim said...

Geoff, that's CLASSICAL music, not classic. Maybe we should just say it has to be CLASSY music. That would get rid of the Surf Punks and Dead Milkmen (and even a few Chris LeDoux songs that you're not even allowed to listen to while I'm around.)

Anonymous said...

Samsonite? Boy, I was way off. ;)
Oh, well, if it's classical music we need, then Iain needs to pull out his Bach-Werke-Verzeichnis (BWV) and we'll see how many of those pieces E. Power Biggs recorded.

cam said...

Ok, 2 things: Is this the album that has "The woman who was also a mongoose" on it?? and -- I left this on kel's blog -- Geoff! Hi! I just bought a hassie 500 c/m classic package. Are you proud of me? (and, you know, congratulations on getting married and have a beautiful child and all those things you've done in the past, oh 10 years since I've seen you)

Geoff said...

Regarding the song, I don't think so, but I'll double-check. Regarding the Hasselblad, woohoo! Awesome camera; I don't use mine enough. Here's my thoughts. Worst thing: Trying to load the film, especially in a hurry. Second worst thing: When you take a picture and then look at the back of the camera even though there's no LCD there. Best thing: The prints you get from that big negative and those wonderful Zeiss lenses. BTW, they make adapters to mount Hasselblad lenses on 35mm film and digital cameras. My 110mm f/2 Planar is my favorite lens on the EOS-1D. (That lens doesn't have a shutter. I think with the shuttered lenses there may be a set it to B or T and lock the shutter open.) You'll have to post some Hasselblad photos to your blog. --Geoff

Nick said...

Dorks! (Except Kim of course.) You're just talking about Hasselblads because it's fun to say...

Kelly said...

In kindergarten the teacher will be discussing oceans and beaches, and little Iain will raise his hand to inform everyone the beach is nothing but a bird bathroom. Just some foresight: Kim might not be happy with you at that particular moment.

Suggestion for next week: the Femmes. I think that's about age appropriate. I mean, I had Connor trained at 17 months to answer "Who's this song by?" with "'tallica!", so Iain's well on his way!

"...So if I happen to run you down, please don't leave a scratch!"

Kim said...

Oh yes, and don't forget, "the ocean's nothing but the fish toilet!"

Well, at least I don't have to worry about Geoff playing hideous Barney songs for the boy. I suppose it could be worse! ;)

I'll just have to try and balance things out to make sure Iain has a well-rounded appreciation for music. You know, classical music is more than just E. Power Biggs playing Bach on an ancient cathedral pipe organ, and there's more to country music than Chris LeDoux, not to mention all the other genres.

Kelly said...

As if mothers don't have enough to do...

;)

Kelly said...

btw, I like the addition of the playlist! The battery on our iPod speaker set is low, so I'm playing through the list as I surf and as Connor falls to sleep.

"...you and me babe how about it?"

Geoff said...

Nick, we were going to talk about Carl Zeiss Oberkochen lenses, but I don't know how to pronounce "Oberkochen."

Kelly, good point. Maybe he better not listen to these songs very often. Hmmm...the Femmes you say? "When I'm a crawlin' I strut my stu-uff."

Kelly again, Glad you like the music. We saw that on a friend's blog and just had to try it. Kim hasn't added any songs yet, but she did edit my playlist. :) I especially like "Loads of Love."

Kim said...

It's no good! Now I've got the lyrics stuck in my head and catch myself singing them to Iain throughout the day. Aaaacckkk!!!!

Anonymous said...

Geoff . . .

As one of a set of Iain's grandfathers, naturally I am concerned with the tad's cultural enhancement, vis-a-vis da music!

So, in a spirit of generosity, I will relinguish to you for a short time at a time, my beloved Dr Demento CD that N & K gave me for, uh, christmas. There MUST be some classical stuff on there. "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park" comes to mind.

Pop C.

Kelly said...

And one can't forget "Dead Puppies"! (Although Iain's beastly cousin requested "Fish Heads" the other night...again...!)