It's me, Geoff. Let's talk about food safety. Like dangerous bagels for example. Yep, I've had a serious bagel injury. Here's the deal. Having finished my orange yogurt for lunch, I pulled a pre-sliced bagel from the 'fridge. They may be "pre-sliced" but they are never sliced all the way through and they stick together. They should call them "sort-of-pre-sliced bagels" or "half-assed-pre-sliced bagels." (That would be "half-arsed-pre-sliced bagels for those of you on the other side od the Atlantic.) So out comes the serrated bread knife. Throwing caution to the wind, I held the bagel in my hand and cut it right in half. Then I continued cutting right into the index finger on my left hand.
Fortunately Annie had stopped by so she could watch Iain while Kim took me to "Quick" Care. Sorry, but if I have to apply direct pressure to my finger in the waiting room for 90 minutes, the "quick" is going to be in quotes. Anyway, the very nice doctor numbed my finger and sewed it right up with nine stitches. I didn't hit any major blood vessels or tendons oe anything, so i should be fine.
Now I'm adapting to having my finger in a bandage. I'm getting the hang of the button fly on my pants. Typing is a chore, and I've no idea how to pick my left-hand nostril. But I'll be fine. So a big thanks to Annie and Mom for watching Iain, and to kim for taking care of me. (I'd thank the doctor and nurse, too, but I don't think they read my blog.) So, be careful in the kitchen folks!
4 comments:
I think I know where Iain gets the potty mouth from now.
Also, when slicing a bagel it is best to stop when you get to your finger.
Annie-
Did you send him the onion thing on floor waxing? I am pretty sure he could now do one on bagel cutting- and they were making FUN of that guy... it has become Geoff's reality, sad.
LOL... yes of course I sent him that video! I thought it best to send it to a few friends... so as not to be so direct when advising and cautioning GEoff about such things.
I have learned that by undirect teaching he seems to respond much better...wouldn't stand out and feel as if I was pointing my finger directly at him... but watch out cause if he points his finger at you.... well you can't miss it with that big old bandage he has on there! I dear say...
ohmigod--I'd reply but I'm laughing to hard.
...annnnd breathe.
Wow. Really. Is this the only time you've had stitches? Those rascally manufacturers of h.a.p.s. bagels are you to get ya. Damn, and your birthday just passed. I could've gotten you a bagel slicer and spared you the hour-and-a-half wait in Quick Care.
But back to my earlier point: wow.
Yes, first time I've had stitches. And actually, Mom showed up here with a bagel slicer yesterday. She had one in the back of the cupboard and figured I needed it more than she does. Rather. Kim is feeding Iain breakfast singing, "Old MacDonald had a Daddy, eieio. With and ouch-ouch here and and ouch-ouch there." Is there a good response to that?
Post a Comment