Saturday, June 03, 2006

Plant a Radish; Get a Radish!

Last night we harvested the first radishes from our garden. Don't they look lovely?

I don't like radishes that much, but Geoff does (must be his spicey personality). Since we were having stir fry last night, I decided to slice them up and throw them in. Did you know they lose all their spiciness when you cook them? I like radishes that way--no offense to those of you who like spicey radishes.

Our garden is doing pretty good. We lost some of our first spinach and lettuce plants to slugs, but I took care of that problem and planted some new seeds this past week. It's going to be a while before we can enjoy a nice homegrown salad though.

We also have sugar snap peas, green beans, beets, and carrots growing, but it'll be several weeks before any of those will be ready. In the meantime, I guess we'll be enjoying our steady crop of radishes!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Mmmmmm...fresh vegies! Can we eat at your house?? (crazy drive for dinner though, I suppose...) :)

Kim said...

Maybe I could mail you some! They might not taste that great by the time they get there though.

Kelly said...

lol--especially the way mail seems to go so slowly to and from Texas! "Ooh--look! 4-week-old radishes from Geoff and Kim! Mmm!"

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, you look great! I would love a garden but we live in the air with no yard (2nd floor condo). I would be afraid that all of the moose would eat our garden.