Our "fussy" Iain got his first prescription yesterday. After discussing his symptoms with Dr. Shupe, he said it sounded like Iain had a bit of acid reflux and that he was overeating to sooth the pain from the reflux--apparently milk is a natural antacid. So now Iain gets to take a dose of Zantac twice a day, and he's not allowed to eat as much at each feeding, plus he has to be kept upright for a while after he eats. He doesn't mind taking his medicine too much, but he really fusses about not getting to eat as much. I'm not sure how well the Zantac is working yet, because as I said, Iain still fusses a lot, but it seems to be more about not getting to eat as long as he'd like and not about being in pain. Hopefully he'll get use to it soon. The good news is most babies start growing out of acid reflux around 3 months and completely outgrow it by 18 months. By then I'm sure Iain will be going through some other phase that we have to worry about.
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check. --M. C. Escher
Friday, April 11, 2008
First Prescription
Our "fussy" Iain got his first prescription yesterday. After discussing his symptoms with Dr. Shupe, he said it sounded like Iain had a bit of acid reflux and that he was overeating to sooth the pain from the reflux--apparently milk is a natural antacid. So now Iain gets to take a dose of Zantac twice a day, and he's not allowed to eat as much at each feeding, plus he has to be kept upright for a while after he eats. He doesn't mind taking his medicine too much, but he really fusses about not getting to eat as much. I'm not sure how well the Zantac is working yet, because as I said, Iain still fusses a lot, but it seems to be more about not getting to eat as long as he'd like and not about being in pain. Hopefully he'll get use to it soon. The good news is most babies start growing out of acid reflux around 3 months and completely outgrow it by 18 months. By then I'm sure Iain will be going through some other phase that we have to worry about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Awww, I hope his medicine helps! He looks so sweet in this picture! (Auntie saddy face that I'm not there to give him a hug!)
Post a Comment